Teaching English in Sweden

Country Guides, Teaching Around The World


Gothenburg, the second-largest city in Sweden.

Sweden is a Scandinavian country in Northern Europe; it borders Norway and Finland, and is connected to Denmark by a bridge-tunnel across the Øresund. It is often ranked highly as well developed, socially aware and economically stable. In 2013 The Economist said that Scandinavian countries are probably the best-governed in the world with Sweden in first place.

English‏‎ is widely spoken in Sweden which means you don’t need to learn Swedish to find your way around the place though, of course, addressing people in their own language always pays off. Just a few words can get your landlord or local shopkeeper warm up to you.

However you will need to know the Swedish language fairly well if you want to apply for a teaching position in a public (state) school although this is not a strict requirement in private schools, or international schools,

Teaching Qualifications & Work Opportunities

To get a permanent job you will need solid teaching qualifications with a degree and a TEFL certificate such as the ICAL TEFL Certificate being the minimum standard requirements. In addition some prior experience either as a teacher in general or more specifically as a TEFL teacher will help.

English is the second most spoken language in Sweden and children start early on their language education not only at public schools but also in private learning centers. However the highest demand is for ESP (English for Special Purposes) and Business English‏‎.

The Swedish government subsidizes English courses and private organizations like Lernia Education (Lernia Utbildning), ABF (claiming to be Sweden’s largest adult education association), and Folksuniversitet (comprised of five foundations attached to the Universities of Stockholm, Uppsala, Göteborg, Lund and Umeå) offer English language courses to adults across the country.

These companies also provide private lessons and tutoring for their business clients so there are also opportunities to get hired for one-to-one sessions. Private lessons are quite popular and many English teachers manage to build a good clientele list, advertising their services in local newspapers or relying on word of mouth.

Despite Sweden being one of the most advanced nations when it comes to information and communication technology teaching jobs are rarely advertised online and finding work is a matter of searching for it on site.

The major cities in Sweden where you will find work are Stockholm (pop. 850,000), Gothenburg (pop. 515,000), Malmo (pop. 295,000) and Uppsala (pop. 140,000) although of course there are also opportunities in smaller towns.

Another way to get into the job market is through volunteering‏‎ at one of the language centers, particularly those subsided by the government. As a volunteer you will be automatically put on the substitute list and have a chance to sit in for one of the regular English teachers who may be missing on occasions. If anything else you will be there at the right time should the center require a new teacher. Worst case scenario? You will end up with a letter certifying your teaching experience in a Swedish school, which will undoubtedly add to your CV/Résumé.

Salaries, Accommodation & Living Expenses

Compared to the high cost of living teaching salaries are low. They are enough to support yourself in the country but if your aim is to put aside a tidy sum than you would be better off looking for employment opportunities elsewhere.

Income tax on salaries is deducted by the employer, who pays it to the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket) along with the social security contributions due. Individual income tax is currently between 30% and 57 % and one of the highest in the world.

To save, many teachers choose to share accommodation and what are known as “second-hand” rental contracts are common among foreigners living in Sweden. This is because you do not need a personal identity number and a guaranteed income to be eligible and the agreement is just between two private individuals.

The monthly rent for an average 1 bedroom apartment is about SEK 6,000 or [currconvert base_curr=”EUR” base_amount=”670″]. The rent increases the closer you are to upper-class, metropolitan areas.  Conversely outside the city center the same apartment will set you back around SEK 4,000 or [currconvert base_curr=”EUR” base_amount=”450″]

For everyday living expenses such as food, clothing, you can expect the same amount again for a single person household. A few figures (updated Dec 2103):

  • Internet connection (6 Mbps, Unlimited Data, Cable/ADSL) is SEK 200 or [currconvert base_curr=”EUR” base_amount=”20″] per month
  • electricity, heating water & garbage (for an 85m2 apartment) is SEK 1,000 or [currconvert base_curr=”EUR” base_amount=”115″] per month
  • a meal at an inexpensive restaurant is about SEK 85 or [currconvert base_curr=”EUR” base_amount=”10″]
  • a pair of Levi jeans cost about SEK 850 or [currconvert base_curr=”EUR” base_amount=”100″]
  • a summer dress in a chain store (Zara, H&M, etc.) is about SEK 300 or [currconvert base_curr=”EUR” base_amount=”35″]

Visas & Immigration

If you are a non-European citizen then you will need to secure a written job offer beforehand in order to apply for work and residential permit. If you are a European citizen then you do no require a work permit and you can stay in the country even after your teaching contract has terminated.

See Teaching in the EU for Non-Europeans for more on this subject.

Related Articles

6 Tips to Make your ESL Classes More Effective

Teaching is undeniably a challenging job, in fact many consider it one of the most difficult careers you could choose. Nevertheless, being a teacher is an enriching experience. Through quality education and effective teaching methodologies,...

read more

ICAL TEFL Resources

Knowledge is Power The ICAL TEFL site has thousands of pages of free TEFL resources for teachers and students. These include: The TEFL ICAL Grammar Guide. Country Guides for teaching around the world. How to find TEFL jobs. How to teach English....

read more


  1. Faiza Lateef

    I want to teach ESL In Sweden, uppsala or Stokholm

    • Jenny Scott

      Good for you, Faiza – if you’re qualified and an excellent English speaker then go for it!

  2. Magdalena Podpora

    I am a recruiter for International Business Language School. I am currently looking for English Teacher in Gothenborg Area. Please email me on magda.podpora@directorslanguages.com if you would like to find out more about this job offer.

  3. ylljam kola

    what about kindergarten level of teaching english? whats the Swedish market for that?

  4. jo anne

    Hi I am interested to hear your feedback, would having a CELTA certficate help me secure a job in Scandinavia? Is there sufficient demand for english lessons as i know many people speak English very well?

    • Pete West

      A CELTA certificate is a good qualification to have but it won’t open doors on its own.

  5. Pete West

    ICAL runs a TEFL 150hr Certificate course with Teaching Practice. And the good news is that it is online so you don’t need to find accomodations to attend the course. To find out more about the ICAL TEFL 150hr with TP get in touch with us at admin@icaltefl.com

  6. George Wilcock

    So, to sum it up, is CELTA the recommended certificate for the Swedish market or Trinity TESOL or any other certificate for that matter?
    I understand that a bachelor in English Literature would be best but what about the rest of us who chose management & marketing degrees hehe?

    • Pete West

      Hi George,

      The degree can be in any subject. Equally, the TEFL Certificate does not need to be a CELTA or Trinity as long as it is a solid TEFL certificate, like the ICAL 120hr TEFL Certificate, it can be done online too. In fact we have a number of graduates who have found employment in Sweden thanks to their ICAL TEFL certificate and related papers.

      Here’s an ICAL article that will help you understand the differences between the various types of TEFL certificates.


  7. bob

    This hasn’t been my experience at all. At lest not in the state-run adult education system (kommunal vuxenutbildning). A CELTA or similar will get you a temporary job at best, and then the principal will actively search to replace you with someone who has an official Swedish teaching qualification (lärare-legitimation).

    Being mother-tongue doesn’t open doors in this system either. If I want the ‘lärare-legitimation’ one must study English at university level and then do teacher training on top of that. In short, about 3 years study.

    • Pete West

      Thank you for sharing your experience.